Posted: Friday, August 18, 2017 10:09 AM
Company Name:Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority
Sous Chef/Kitchen Supervisor
Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority
Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority at University of California Berkeley seeks an experienced Sous Chef/Kitchen Supervisor to run kitchen operations for residential sorority house. The Sous Chef is vital to the daily operations of the Chapter House ensuring meals are provided for residents in a timely, consistent and high-quality manner. Further details about the position are listed below:
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Menu Planning & Preparation
o Work closely with House Director to plan monthly lunch and dinner menus that strive for nutritional balance, economic responsibility and variety.
o Plan and prepare food compliant with different member food allergies or dietary restrictions.
o Open kitchen each morning and work with House Director to set the daily staff tasks and schedule.
o Prepare and provide lunch and dinner service with the assistance of kitchen staff.
• Inventory & Ordering
o Maintain an accurate inventory list of all items as removed from refrigerator, freezer and pantry, including supplies and food items. Ensure all kitchen staff complies with inventory procedures and work with House Director to correct any lack of compliance.
o Prepare weekly food orders based on inventory and menus; prepare a list for the House Director and meet with her, or any vendor representatives, to place orders. If substitutions are needed, work with the House Director to adjust the menu or order as necessary.
o Retain copies of all weekly orders and menus for use in inventory management.
o Check-in food deliveries as they arrive and make sure all items are received as indicated on the delivery slip or packing list and are in the appropriate condition.
o Sign delivery slip or invoice if House Director is not available and place in designated area to ensure correct billing from vendors.
o Store all incoming inventory according to proper food safety guidelines, or oversee the process of storage by kitchen staff.
• Food Safety
o Assume responsibility for maintaining a safe and clean environment in all areas of the kitchen (work areas, cold storage, dry storage, & cleaning supply area) in compliance with Health Department regulations & ServSafe standards.
o Maintain and adhere to strict personal health standards at all time, including wearing hairnets, gloves and appropriate attire.
o Ensure all kitchen staff complies with health, safety and personal health standards and work with the House Director to correct any lack of compliance.
o Utilize FIFO inventory standards to ensure safety and minimize waste.
o Monitor kitchen staff use of equipment and ensure staff are not using equipment they are not qualified to use (i.e. houseboys or dishwashers should not be using equipment other than the dishwasher.)
o Supervise staff in monitoring and maintaining proper hold temperatures on hot and cold serving lines and immediately rectify potentially dangerous temperatures.
• Facility Management
o Work with House Director to develop and implement schedule for cleaning daily, weekly, monthly, and seasonally.
o Inform House Director immediately of any kitchen repairs, equipment problems, or equipment needs.
The ideal candidate should possess:
• a degree in Culinary Science, or related certificate;
• proven experience as a Sous Chef or Kitchen Supervisor;
• a valid and current California Food Handler Certification, or ability to obtain certification before start date;
• an inclination to keep up with food trends and best practices;
• the ability to quickly spot and correct any issues that might arise;
• excellent communication skills and desire to work collaboratively with a small staff;
• the highest level of professionalism and boundaries in working with college-aged residents;
• a working knowledge of relevant computer applications (Word, Excel, Internet);
• and an openness to feedback aimed at assisting with professional and personal development.
• Weekly schedule consists of Monday – Thursday 9:00am-6:00pm, Fridays 8:00am-8:00pm (perform deep cleaning), and occasional weekends for special events with notification. On average schedule is 43 hours/week.
• 10-month position with time off for university holidays and breaks.
• Compensation: up to $23.00/hour commiserate with experience.
• Employee health plan available.
• Anticipated start date: part-time/preparatory schedule July 31, 2017 with full-time regular schedule starting week of August 14, 2017.
Please send cover letter, resume with minimum of 3 professional references, and salary history via email to Leann Sewell, House Director, at email@example.com. Deadline to apply is Friday, July 28 at 5:00pm.
• Location: Berkeley, CA, East Bay
• Post ID: 74162063 eastbay