Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:14 AM
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
*The location for position may be in Oakland CA, Los Angeles CA or Seattle WA.*
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Director of Safety, Western Region is responsible for direction and oversight of the development of system safety programs to support the western region. This position will oversee and provide guidance in the field implementation of Amtrak safety programs, policies, rules and procedures in accordance with Amtrak's System Safety Program and regulatory requirements. The position works with business line and enterprise wide leadership to develop and implement local, divisional and system level safety related initiatives to reduce/eliminate injuries and accidents, and provides technical guidance and support to reduce hazards and risk in the workplace through the application of scientific methods including qualitative and quantitative risk assessment.
- Develops system safety programs for use in the Western Region to support the implementation of the System Safety Program Plan
- Serves as the company representative for system safety program planning requirements with State agencies
- Partners with Directors of Safety to ensure alignment in safety program development across the system
- Leads the development of the critical self:assessment program to increase compliance with regulatory requirements and to reduce risk
- Monitors field utilization of safety, health and injury prevention programs, initiatives and activities
- Utilizes safety data such as audits, critical self assessments, accident/injury trend analyses, and input from other group or departmental reviews to evaluate the efficacy of safety programs
- Works with departments or locations to address deficiencies
- Partners with business lines and departmental staff in accident/injury and near miss investigation and hazard/risk reduction efforts
- Participates in the investigation of major rail incidents
- Oversees regional efforts to identify opportunities to improve passenger safety
- Oversees the development and implementation of programs to reduce/eliminate passenger accidents and injuries
- Participates in development of company:wide safety policies and programs as well as those that are departmental, local and/or site:specific in nature
- Supports efforts of Transportation, Engineering and Mechanical field safety personnel, by providing technical safety information, technical guidance and advice
- Partners with labor/management and local safety committees to identify and reduce/eliminate exposures and hazards in compliance with safety policies, programs and procedures
- Maintains a working liaison with regulatory agencies, advocacy organizations, vendors and contractors
- Supports personnel in their efforts to comply with applicable OSHA and FRA safety regulations and Amtrak safety policies, programs and procedures
- Extensive experience with health and safety regulations, coordinating/interfacing with regulatory agencies and developing and implementing system safety related programs and policies
- Effective facilitation, coordination, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Extensive experience in a safety:related capacity or position
- Some experience in a safety management position responsible for safety program development
- Strong, state of the art knowledge of safety regulations, policies and programs; injury prevention programs; personal protective safety equipme
• Location: East Bay, Oakland
• Post ID: 82595212 eastbay